This is a summary blog post. For more detailed version -> Click Here
What You Normally Hear About Egg Yolks?
You should only eat one egg yolk per day! Throw the rest.
Egg yolks give you high blood cholesterol!
Why are you eating so many egg yolks at once? Are you trying to kill yourself?
Just eat the egg whites! Limit your yolks per day, bro!
That’s probably what you always get. People telling you to stay away from egg yolks.
Busting this Egg Yolks Myth
NO! Egg yolks or high cholesterol food does not cause high cholesterol in you!
But… Everyone Said Egg Yolks are Evil
Let me give you a brief history lesson…
Around the 1950s, a research concluded:
Eat high cholesterol food = High blood cholesterol
- An egg yolk has around 180-200 milligrams of cholesterol
- Limit of daily cholesterol intake was 300 milligrams
As you can see, egg yolk has a very high cholesterol level. Let’s say if you eat one, you will have around 100 milligrams of cholesterol quota left for that day. You will definitely be consuming other cholesterol-containing food during the day so imagine if you eat 2 egg yolks per day! Yeap, you’re screwed!
Many that followed, use this research as a standard and are mostly biased.
However, recent studies have found out that:
Eat high cholesterol food ≠≠≠ High blood cholesterol
High cholesterol in your body is caused by other factors.
Just last year, the U.S. government changed the daily cholesterol limit. Now there is no recommended limit to your daily cholesterol level.
What Causes High Cholesterol then?
- Saturated Fats – fatty beef, butter, lard, cream, etc.
- Sedentary lifestyle – you lazy piece of @##% (Even normal walking for 1 hour per day would’ve gotten you out of this sedentary lifestyle unless you have some sort of disease that stops you from moving)
- Overweight or obese
- Secondary factors – Diabetes, kidney or liver problems, etc…
Benefits of Egg Yolks!
- Essential vitamins and minerals
- Omega-3 fatty acids
That’s about it for the summary. If you would like to know more, head over to the detailed post I made.
As always, thank you for your time. Do drop a comment, let me know if you like such content and what you want me to cover next.